3/29/2024 11:55am
j0lsrud wrote:

Orange lowers is ugly, thats the point 

TimBud wrote:

Just buy the black then.

Don’t sweat though the Kashima lowers will be available very soon

monarchmason
3/29/2024 12:40pm

Man its kind of sad that this is the current era of mountain biking tech and innovation. Colors, small measurements, and the same tread pattern repeated on tires. I miss the 2012-2017 era. Where enduro was just beginning and 29ers on big bikes were becoming a thing. Pros doing sometimes absurd builds… oh and cheaper bikes. Good times. 

3/29/2024 12:46pm
Man its kind of sad that this is the current era of mountain biking tech and innovation. Colors, small measurements, and the same tread pattern repeated...

Man its kind of sad that this is the current era of mountain biking tech and innovation. Colors, small measurements, and the same tread pattern repeated on tires. I miss the 2012-2017 era. Where enduro was just beginning and 29ers on big bikes were becoming a thing. Pros doing sometimes absurd builds… oh and cheaper bikes. Good times. 

Couldn't agree more. In 2014 I bought into the hype and sold my 26" for an Enduro 29er, only for it to have a 67.5 degree HTA and ride like an XC bike on the downhill. I OTB'ed for the first month more than the previous 3 years until I adjusted my technique. 

Fast forward a few years, and by 2019 it was hard to buy a bike that had crap geo, and now all bikes have the same geo haha. All suspension is pretty good, all brakes are pretty good, and all high end builds are neon-pastel frame colors so everyone can see from a helicopter how much you spent on your bike.

I feel like the next innovations aren't going to be in performance, per-se, but rather in manufacturing techniques (still mourning that GG bit the dust)

dolface
Fantasy
1907th
3/29/2024 12:57pm
Man its kind of sad that this is the current era of mountain biking tech and innovation. Colors, small measurements, and the same tread pattern repeated...

Couldn't agree more. In 2014 I bought into the hype and sold my 26" for an Enduro 29er, only for it to have a 67.5 degree...

Couldn't agree more. In 2014 I bought into the hype and sold my 26" for an Enduro 29er, only for it to have a 67.5 degree HTA and ride like an XC bike on the downhill. I OTB'ed for the first month more than the previous 3 years until I adjusted my technique. 

Fast forward a few years, and by 2019 it was hard to buy a bike that had crap geo, and now all bikes have the same geo haha. All suspension is pretty good, all brakes are pretty good, and all high end builds are neon-pastel frame colors so everyone can see from a helicopter how much you spent on your bike.

I feel like the next innovations aren't going to be in performance, per-se, but rather in manufacturing techniques (still mourning that GG bit the dust)

Would be nice to see the potential of carbon (lighter weights, engineered flex etc.) materialize; 32lbs for a trail bike is not the future we were promised...

tsewhsoj
3/29/2024 1:02pm
dknapton wrote:

Can we finally do away with orange lowers on these new fox forks? One of the worst things to happen to mountain biking. 

Lets also get rid of orange helmets, terrible trend. /s

ethanrevitch
Fantasy
2331st
3/29/2024 1:05pm

Couldn't agree more. In 2014 I bought into the hype and sold my 26" for an Enduro 29er, only for it to have a 67.5 degree...

dolface wrote:
Would be nice to see the potential of carbon (lighter weights, engineered flex etc.) materialize; 32lbs for a trail bike is not the future we were...

Would be nice to see the potential of carbon (lighter weights, engineered flex etc.) materialize; 32lbs for a trail bike is not the future we were promised...

Band do it too much. Enough with the “flex pivot” bs.

TimBud
Fantasy
1362nd
3/29/2024 1:18pm
tsewhsoj wrote:

I thought you guys all liked orange stuff because of Trump.

Or just buy a different colour/brand

ethanrevitch
Fantasy
2331st
3/29/2024 1:30pm
tsewhsoj wrote:

TimBud wrote:

I thought you guys all liked orange stuff because of Trump.

Or just buy a different colour/brand

Grinning lol

dolface
Fantasy
1907th
3/29/2024 2:03pm

dolface wrote:
Would be nice to see the potential of carbon (lighter weights, engineered flex etc.) materialize; 32lbs for a trail bike is not the future we were...

Engineered flex encompasses a lot more than flex pivots my dude.

3/29/2024 2:38pm
dolface wrote:

dolface wrote:

Engineered flex encompasses a lot more than flex pivots my dude.

Ya, with how powerful engineered carbon layup can be, with directional flex it allows, I'm shocked it isn't used more. Go ride a steel bike like Starling, and while not a perfect bike, on loose, natural, and/or off camber turns, the traction is amazing (only issue for me is that they are too flexy for burlier riders, or for longer travel bikes with long AtC forks, as seen on Neko's frames; he loved the comfort and grip of his steel triangle, but too flexy for WC racing). Carbon can give you the best of both worlds. 

But back to the topic of next-gen manufacturing- Its frustrating seeing bikes (like the GG) reuse parts across models and frame sizes. I get it, for cost reasons its necessary, but innovation in manufacturing could allow for more custom bikes in the future, like Robot/Atherton. The old Privateer 141 shared the same tubesets as the longer travel original, so its going to be too heavy and too stiff for a shorter travel sibling. The same with sharing tubes & molds across sizes. Yes, there are bean pole tall guys on XLs, but its pretty reliable that larger sizes are going to have heavier riders. Taller riders also benefit from longer chainstays, and while moving the main pivot back on larger sizes is a cool trick to allow the reuse of a rear mold across sizes, you still end up with a rear triangle either overbuilt for lighter riders or underbuilt for heavier ones.  Imagine if manufacturing technology progressed to the point where it was cost effective to do custom molds for each part for each size for each model, with the carbon fibers being tuned to provide lateral compliance like a steel frame, but in the appropriate amount for each size. 

Digit Bikes
3/29/2024 4:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2024 5:12pm

Don't be sad. I struggle to wrap my head around inflation too. Sometimes I find it helpful to recalibrate like this:

Adjusted for inflation the MSRP of a 2012 Sworks Stumpjumper FSR would be $2,494.63 more than the MSRP of a 2024 Sworks Stumpjumper FSR.

Adjusted for inflation the MSRP of the most affordable 2012 FSR would be $748.51 more than the MSRP of their most affordable 2024 full suspension.

i.e. prices have actually fallen, over 20%; while bikes have certainly improved, significantly.

There are still big innovations like what I'm doing, or Lal, Trust, or ebikes; and there were always less flashy innovations like improvements to tread patterns. Less flashy doesn't mean without value though, tires these days are much improved since a decade ago.

bulletbass man
Fantasy
348th
3/29/2024 5:08pm
dknapton wrote:

Can we finally do away with orange lowers on these new fox forks? One of the worst things to happen to mountain biking. 

tsewhsoj wrote:

Not if you bike where hunting is allowed.

NicoZesty96
3/29/2024 5:58pm
UfuS78 wrote:
New Fox 38 on Lukasick bike 

New Fox 38 on Lukasick bike 

i see nothing new

UfuS78 wrote:

New, but you can't see the novelty from the outside 🤫

then again nothing new, we know about the new dampers

ethanrevitch
Fantasy
2331st
3/29/2024 10:00pm

Soon.

Gold lowers coming for 38 and 40 as well…

sethimus
Fantasy
625th
3/29/2024 11:38pm

innovations will happen in the ebike sector now

Primoz
Fantasy
383rd
3/29/2024 11:58pm
dknapton wrote:

tsewhsoj wrote:

I am personally offended! 

Primoz
Fantasy
383rd
3/30/2024 12:00am Edited Date/Time 3/30/2024 12:09am

dolface wrote:

Lowest hanging fruit. Fixing geometry is cheaper than engineering flex and seeing what works and what doesn't. But it's likely these smaller things will be the next development war. 

After a torrent of development 10 years ago, we have a period of stability. Getting ready for the next torrent. In the field of same same manufacturers will have to find the new thing to stand out by.

@hamncheez2003 Bird used to have the same tubeset across all their full suspension bikes as well. It's just sound engineering and accounting in this world. You can't really do fully custom aluminium if that requires hydroforming. With carbon footprint it is possible to adapt - you can have a different layup in the same mold. But that is also expensive as it requires additional testing. Plus what about resale value? Integrated seatposts are a pain as you can't sell a bike to someone taller than you for example... You can still cut it, but with custom layup it is what it is. Though if you are catering to a market that doesn't need a new bike every year, that might not be as much of an issue. With geometries and technology not progressing as fast it's completely possible to have the same frame for over 5 years. 

nicompr
3/30/2024 1:37am
Did anyone catch the YT in the Ochain press release? It had a similar layout as an Izzo but with an X2 and a 38. Potato...

Did anyone catch the YT in the Ochain press release? It had a similar layout as an Izzo but with an X2 and a 38. Potato phone is struggling to post a pic but here is the link https://m.pinkbike.com/news/ochain-components-a-whole-new-range.html

ethanrevitch
Fantasy
2331st
3/30/2024 3:53am

I just got sent the pic by a friend who doesn’t know anything about it. Anyone have ideas what Fox will do with their new Grip X2 damper? 

shape
3/30/2024 4:09am

Fox released gold lowers in 2014 already and they don't look that good imho. Same reason behind the idea as white marzocchi forks - to make you buy new stuff. 

TimBud
Fantasy
1362nd
3/30/2024 4:27am

Speaking of sliding links algorithm popped this up in my feed.

Its from December but I don’t remember seeing before

ethanrevitch
Fantasy
2331st
3/30/2024 4:43am
shape wrote:
Fox released gold lowers in 2014 already and they don't look that good imho. Same reason behind the idea as white marzocchi forks - to make...

Fox released gold lowers in 2014 already and they don't look that good imho. Same reason behind the idea as white marzocchi forks - to make you buy new stuff. 

They’re a bicycle part manufacturer. Aren’t they always trying to do that..?

3/30/2024 5:59am
Did anyone catch the YT in the Ochain press release? It had a similar layout as an Izzo but with an X2 and a 38. Potato...

Did anyone catch the YT in the Ochain press release? It had a similar layout as an Izzo but with an X2 and a 38. Potato phone is struggling to post a pic but here is the link https://m.pinkbike.com/news/ochain-components-a-whole-new-range.html

nicompr wrote:

Looks like an over-suspension'd Izzo, frame details are exactly an Izzo, down to the chainstay protection. Cool but strange build.

gibbon
3/30/2024 6:31am

Looks like an over-suspension'd Izzo, frame details are exactly an Izzo, down to the chainstay protection. Cool but strange build.

Endu-country?
Down-uro?

3/30/2024 7:20am

We may have hit a plateau in development.. At least until someone figures out something new in materials or design. 32in wheels are already being played with..

Bike weights... Yes, bikes are getting heavier.. But, riders are pushing them harder. People are riding 130mm bikes on stuff that 160mm bikes were considered the normal for only a few years ago..

Someone mentioned ebikes getting more development.. I'd say that's true on the motor and battery side.. That technology is developing at a way faster pace. It's just a matter of time before it comes to a price point that is feasible for the bike market.  Batteries are gaining more energy density, so more power in a given amount of space.. 

Where is the next big step that gets us all excited? 

bnsleit
3/30/2024 8:05am
We may have hit a plateau in development.. At least until someone figures out something new in materials or design. 32in wheels are already being played...

We may have hit a plateau in development.. At least until someone figures out something new in materials or design. 32in wheels are already being played with..

Bike weights... Yes, bikes are getting heavier.. But, riders are pushing them harder. People are riding 130mm bikes on stuff that 160mm bikes were considered the normal for only a few years ago..

Someone mentioned ebikes getting more development.. I'd say that's true on the motor and battery side.. That technology is developing at a way faster pace. It's just a matter of time before it comes to a price point that is feasible for the bike market.  Batteries are gaining more energy density, so more power in a given amount of space.. 

apple vision ebike ride simulator. neurolink AXS brakes. jokes aside, I'd bet most of the development we'll see will be on the electronic side, but hoping that stimulates some rebound investment in the acoustic component and bike world

veefour
3/30/2024 8:16am

Aww jeez. So we've got acoustic components as well as bikes now? I'm off to find some clouds to shout at.

3/30/2024 10:05am Edited Date/Time 3/30/2024 10:06am
We may have hit a plateau in development.. At least until someone figures out something new in materials or design. 32in wheels are already being played...

For ebikes there isn't infinite improvement in battery in motor technology at least with the current gen stuff. The main problem is now that the market is polarized into sluggish heavy full power ebikes which weigh 25 kg+ and light ebikes who lack the grunt. I'd like to see something like the orbea rise without the annoying motor rattle and a derestricted motor plus 500 Wh battery which should come in at around 18-20 kg. Then there is also the integrated gearbox trend but that will just make the bikes heavier.

Onawalk
3/30/2024 10:25am

We were riding stuff on hardtails and 130 bikes long ago.  Kona Stinky, Norco VPS-1, RM Slayer/Pipeline, these were 130 bikes.  the current Druid, Optic, Endorphin is just updated versions of those bikes.  Dont get so hung up on mm's of travel, geo and intended use are more important.

Bike innovation has always been gradual, its all marginal gains, theyre are very few cataclysmic changes.

We are on the precipice of electronic active suspension, which is incredibly complex, and can "release" some of the design compromises that currently plague mountain bikes (between climbing efficiency and descending efficiency) I dont think we have yet to see a bike that is designed around Flight Attendant or LiveWire systems, just integration into existing platforms. 

When a manufacturer takes the chance to design with FA in mind, you might very well have a bike that can do both better (climb/descend) but we all have a different version of better...

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest